This advert from the Mars Magazine features Miss Sim's sweetie shop at Woodhaven Terrace.
A wide range of shops and services being advertised here in St Thomas' Church magazine of 1961.
Adverts for three local businesses, taken from the 1924 Guide to Newport.
Lots of pottery bits and pieces found locally. Alex B Smith was a grocer and spirit dealer for a few years around 1900 in the shop on West Road that is now a house - now 10 West Road. Until about 1980 it was always a shop.
Bottles from William Doig the Chemist.
This was the Rankine family car at the Woodhaven corner shop around 1930. A brilliant red colour, the car was a familiar sight locally. In 1937 it was decorated as a fire tender to take part in King George VI's coronation celebrations.
The shop at Woodhaven was in the end property of Woodhaven Terrace, and was a shop from at least as far back as the late 1890s. The postbox seen here is still on the wall of the property today. The shop was latterly called the Shopping Basket before being converted to a house, probably in ...
Drawing of old Newport Post Office opposite the pier. Beyond the Post Office are the mission hall and the Brig o' Tay.
Jimmy Fairlie's shop on the High Street, Newport ( earlier in the old Royal Buildings).
From the 1940s until the 1970s Frank Smith had his newsagent/book shop on the High Street (now number 32). It was the favourite shop for youngsters, always keen for their weekly comic 'fix', as well as for books, toys and models galore. The cigarette machine on the door is a reminder of days long gone, ...
Froude the ironmonger on Cupar Road, Newport.
In the 1960s Janetta's chip shop and cafe on Boat Road was the place to hang out. It was better known to most of its regulars by its rather unattractive nickname Stinky's!
Lovely view of this gleaming Ford Consul parked on Tay Street, and it's clearly the focus of the photograph, but the picture earns its place in our archive thanks to the background. Jimmy Fairlie's shop was here in the old Royal Buildings all through the 1960s until the buildings were demolished in 1971. Thereafter he ...
Three Newport butcher shops.
Walking down the south side of the High Street there was Beatt and Tait's, with Frank Smith's a little further on. Now Frank was a gentleman, I worked for him, firstly with an evening paper round then latterly also a morning round, meeting Frank at the station to get the papers from the train and ...
Miniature or model shoe, found in a garden in West Newport. This was perhaps a sample belonging to a salesman.
In the early 1990s you could explore the wonderful world of Miniatures and Fantasy in Wormit. This specialist shop was in the building that had earlier been occupied by John Dott the chemist, and for more than 30 years by the Dundee Savings bank. Local artist Phyllis Fenton designed and painted the sign. The shop ...
David Duff started his shop in the High Street in the 1940s. Initially it was a hardware store, but by the 1950s, he was selling drapery goods as well. His daughter took over the shop and continued as a draper. Many shoppers have lovely memories of all Miss Duff's cupboards and drawers where she could ...
Modelia Fashions at the bottom of High Street. This building was originally the estate office for Tayfield Estate. It has now been converted to a house.
Mr Bain the Grocer on the right. Bain's shop was at James Square on the corner of Gowrie Street and King Street from 1947 until 1970, and is fondly remembered by many.
Postcard of the High St, Newport showing the gasworks chimney.
The only photograph we have ever seen of the inside of the old post office. This is Lillian Knight who lived at Royal Buildings, and who worked in the post office in the 1920s and 1930s.
Long time Newport resident, Henry Burnett shares his memories of Newport and Wormit shops.
Two of the Newport pier shops. The Tyme Shop run by Brian Giel, and Jan Blicharski's Leather Shop.