Wonderful photograph showing the arrival of crowds of passengers and carriages coming off the ferry, all apparently dressed in their 'Sunday best'. Pier clock says 3.30. It certainly looks like a special occasion, but will we ever know what it was?
Boat Brae parade of shops. These lovely buildings, opened in 1878, had by 2010 fallen into a terrible state of disrepair. Our Before and After photographs show the buildings before and after the amazing restoration by David and Liz Anderson who own the adjoining pier buildings, and the superb development and fitting out as the ...
A fairly quiet view down Boat Brae around 1900. The building on the right, now a house, was for many years around the turn of the century home to Nicoll the baker. The young lady who is clearly happy to face the camera may well be one of the bakery assistants. Further down, the wheeled ...
Parade of shops in the pier buildings on Boat Brae, probably 1960s.
Boat Road in early 1900s. The old mission hall is on the right, originally the granary for St Fort Estate. In the centre on the High Road is John Young's cycle business which would soon expand into the motor business on Boat Road. In the distance is the Chapel House.
Boat Road in the 1950s. A policeman directs the ferry traffic. Two late-comers running to catch it.
Cars queuing for the ferry on Boat Road, in 1950s. The ferry is already at the pier, and passengers are heading to and from it.
Framed photograph of queue of cars on Boat Road waiting for the ferry.
On the left of the photograph is Chapel House, which stood on Boat Road from at least 1800. Here it can be seen with its close neighbour, J T Young's motor garage. Chapel House was demolished in the 1950s.
Drawing of old Newport Post Office opposite the pier. Beyond the Post Office are the mission hall and the Brig o' Tay.
Postcard showing Dundee fire brigade arriving by ferry at Newport Pier.
Good clear view of East Newport from the pier, probably around 1900. The gasworks chimney was removed in 1905 after the gasworks had moved in 1903 to their new location on the Tayport Road.
Good clear view of the area around the old pier around 1900. On the extreme left are the washing lines for the flats in the old granary, and the gasworks chimney dominates the scene. McKellar the painter's name is easy to see from the Fifie, and going towards the west, first Chapel House, then Seamills ...
Ferry 'Abercraig' at the pier 1964. Road Bridge is under construction in background.
The ferry pier buildings after closure in 1966.
A busy morning as passengers and traffic queue for the ferry. The pier clock says 8.30 so presumably these crowds are commuters heading for work in Dundee. Excellent view of J T Young's extensive garage business on Boat Road.
Photograph (framed) of the Braes, granary and old pier in Granary Lane or Gas Lane at that time.
The pier at Newport around 1840, with the steamship Union. Tayfield House is in the background and Seamills Cottage is the only other building still standing.
This small yacht is the Aeolus, launched and named at the old pier by Mrs Dunlop of Kilnburn, probably in early 1960s. Some of the older Newport boys had restored the yacht on the beach. Up above on the right the residents of the old granary have a grandstand view of proceedings. Note the large ...
There may no longer be ferries arriving and departing, but the pier is still a hive of activity with David and Liz Anderson's marine services and supplies business.
Newport pierhead area, probably around 1870. One of our oldest photographs. The distinctive arched pier buildings have not yet been built (1878) and the Newport Hotel has not yet been extended to side and rear (1890s). The gasworks chimney is in the centre of the picture and Jonas Kidd's grocer shop on the right is ...
Pottering about down at the old pier - Dad, June and Billy the dog. Late 1930s.
Lovely clear view of a much photographed scene from the Braes to the old pier. The granary, gasworks and other buildings at the head of the pier are long gone, with only stumps remaining now of the old pier. The pier provides the perfect sheltered corner for the small boats drawn up on the shore. ...
Not a lot remaining of the old pier at Granary Lane, probably around 1970. This pier was built by the Dundee Guildry in the 18th century.