An explanation of the origins of Wormit Boating Club. Note that the club moved to Woodhaven in 1971, with the new clubhouse being built the following year.
Newspaper cutting from 30 July 1892 describing a boating accident just off the braes. The two occupants of a small sailing boat were rescued from the water after their boat capsized. The rescuer was John Barlow (22), founder of Betsworth and Barlow plumbers.
Newspaper cutting from 1986 recalling inter-club football matches on the sandbanks out in the river.
Two photographs at Wormit Boating Club of the club flag and the Norwegian flag both flying at half mast to acknowledge the death of Sandy Rankine on 9 December 2008. Sandy was a great supporter and friend of the boating club, and also, with his father Willie, of the Norwegians based at the pier during ...
Many local people still fondly remember the football and cricket matches held regularly on the sandbank out in the river. “The original sandbank football matches were an annual one between a team from Wormit Boating Club and Dundee Corinthian Boating Club (who were based near Craig Pier). By then they were usually on the sandbank between ...
Newport Boating Club Commodore's Cup, also known as the Leng Cup. Presented to Newport Boating Club by John Leng in 1891. With the demise of Newport Boating Club it is now in the care of Wormit Boating Club. (Wrongly labelled in photograph.)
Newport Braes. The Boating Club shed and slipway on a crowded day. The Royal Hotel up above on Tay Street.
Newport Boating Club shed and slipway on Braes.
A postcard of sailing and rowing boats on the river, early 20th century.
Postcard view of evening on the Tay, with sailing and rowing boats.
The Braes and Big Rock possibly on the boating club's regatta day.
This postcard is a view of Newport taken from Wormit Boating Club, Woodhaven, possibly around 1970.
Rather blurred views of a well attended event at Woodhaven pier. In the early 1930s, after the Mars training ship had left, Wormit Boating Club held some regattas here. For the Boating club, the Mars sheds and pier at Woodhaven would have been ideal for their purposes - plenty space for spectators at events such ...
Wormit Boating Club was always a great place to socialise. These two photographs are from the late 1940s.
Members of Wormit Boating Club in 1938. Not sure what the occasion was so any suggestions would be welcome.
Wormit Boating Club Mirror Class sailing championships at Woodhaven Pier in July 1989.
Tremendous photograph of a very busy day at the old Wormit Boating Club clubhouse down underneath the railway bridge. The club was based here until 1969 when they moved to Woodhaven Pier.
The remains of the old Wormit Boating Club boathouse and their slipway. The club moved their base to Woodhaven in 1969, after which the boathouse here gradually fell into disrepair. In its heyday it was the centre of much water-based activity. This photograph probably dates from 1990s.
Wormit Boating Club Tay Flag Championship Winners 1925. D K Garland (stroke), W S Dennler, C Milne, H Gleig (bow).
A description of and explanation of the background to the Leng Cup and the Memorial Cup. These are the cups competed for by Wormit Boating Club.
Wormit Boating Club members on a club cruise upriver to Birkhill Estate late 1940s.
Wormit Boating Club Gala Day 1981. Jim Wilson, Bob Nicol, Dave McLaren, Ann Yule (Patrick) and John Don, all 1940s/1950s oarsmen/woman, are wearing the original WBC boating dress.
This gavel was made by Alistair Monro of Monifieth from the wood of the laburnum tree planted at Woodhaven in 1944 to commemorate a visit by King Haakon of Norway that year. The Norwegian Airforce 333 Squadron was stationed at Woodhaven during the war. It was given to Wormit Boating Club for use by the ...
Four members of Wormit Boating Club enjoying the action in the late 1920s. Standing is Mr John Kydd Dow.