Newport’s First Post Office
The first Post Office in Newport was on the site where Trinity Church now stands. In the early 1850s the post master there was John Shepherd, and in the Dundee Directory he was described as a Receiver and Letter Carrier.
Very briefly in the 1870s the role of post master was undertaken by Jonas Kidd. He operated from the building on Boat Brae (now a house). He ran a grocery store there (see photograph) as well as a file-cutting business. By 1880 the Post Office had moved to the building opposite the pier.
Post Office at the Pier
The Post Office remained in its pierhead location until after the ferry service ended in 1966. The building is easily recognised by the old stamp machines still in the wall. At the start of the twentieth century the post master was A M Anderson, better known as Postie Anderson.
He was a man of many talents. As well as sorting the letters, he was a watchmaker, jeweller and optician, as advertised on the notices outside his shop and seen in old photographs.
He was also a photographer of some repute, having taken many of the views of the village on the hundreds of different postcards which were produced before the First World War. These old postcards are an enormously valuable resource to us today, giving a wonderful view of the village at that time. Thank you Postie Anderson!
After the closure of the ferry service in 1966, the Post Office moved to the High Street, and after that to Cupar Road. Since 2014 it has been housed within the Spar shop on the High Street.
Wormit Post Office
Wormit’s Post Office opened in 1895 in what was the new building at the junction of Mount Stewart Road and Naughton Road, in 2020 the location of the Spar shop. After World War II it would move to its site on Naughton Road, west of The View restaurant. The Post Office’s present location within the Spar shop has taken the Post Office back to its original premises.