Newport Quoiting Club
In the top corner of Victoria Park was the quoiting ground, home of the quoiting club. Set up in 1896, this club was very active until it finally expired in the 1930s. The triangular area used by the club is still fenced off, and can be clearly seen. A substantial wooden clubhouse stood there. The clubhouse was at right angles to the railway embankment, seen behind in the photograph. Quoiting required a great deal of skill and strength as it involved throwing heavy iron or steel rings (weighing between 2.7 and 5.5 kg) at a pin in the ground. The distance thrown was usually 20 metres. In the 1920s the quoiting club was holding well attended weekly dances in the small Blyth Hall. At one time the top (dry!) curling pond in Tayfield was also used for quoiting.
Our photograph shows the New Year’s Day match from 1913. The two competitors are Alex Hardie and John Don (blacksmith).