Newspaper advert asking for homes for evacuees in Fife.
This advert from the Mars Magazine features Miss Sim's sweetie shop at Woodhaven Terrace.
Newspaper cutting explaining arrangements in event of arrival of evacuees in Fife.
Newspaper article about the Provost's Ball on 1 February 1974, held to mark the re-opening of the Blyth Hall after its extension and modernisation.
Newspaper cutting from 30 July 1892 describing a boating accident just off the braes. The two occupants of a small sailing boat were rescued from the water after their boat capsized. The rescuer was John Barlow (22), founder of Betsworth and Barlow plumbers.
An interesting article about the Buist family of Woodhaven. The article was written in 1905. William Buist established his joinery business at Woodhaven in 1875.
Newspaper article about the campaign to return the Abercraig Ferry from Malta.
These newspaper cuttings refer to the 1980s campaign, headed by John Rundle and ultimately unsuccessful, to reopen Wormit station.
Newscutting showing how children helped the war effort too.
Advertisement from 1810 for the Royal Fifeshire Union Coach service between Woodhaven and Pettycur on the Forth. This was being run by Mr Nicol, vintner of Woodhaven. Coaches had no time for unscheduled stops to pass on news so during the Napoleonic Wars coaches were decorated with greenery to signify a victory over the French.
A news cutting entitled Pulpit and Pew - End of an Era. It gives details of the last service to be held in the Congregational Church on 6 December 1986.
Newspaper article from 2008 noting the death of Sandy Rankine of Woodhaven. Noted for his knowledge of the local area, Sandy was involved almost all his life with the family joinery business. After World War II Sandy helped maintain close links with the Norwegian servicemen who had been based at Woodhaven.
The development of the steam ferry service in the 1820s led to the first phase of development in the village. Here in the Fife Herald of 10 April 1823 we see land/houses being advertised for sale in Maryton, the area of East Newport bounded by Tay Street, King Street, Cupar Road and James Street.
Newspaper photograph of dinner and presentation to Scottish Aggregates' employees in Seymour Hotel, Newport.
Newspaper cutting marks the end of Newport-on-Tay Town Council.
Newspaper article about the last employees on the Tay ferries.
Such a shame that this newspaper photograph is not in better condition. It shows a football match out in the river on the sandbank, where both football and cricket matches were regular occurrences in the past. The match is between a Dundee team, possibly the Corinthians, and a Wormit team. Eric Gray in the centre ...
John Grant from the children's television programme Jackanory, drew pictures for an enthralled group at an exhibition of children's books held in Forgan Arts Centre.
A news cutting describing the opening exhibition at Forgan Arts Centre in 1974.
Two newspaper cuttings referring to the Forgan Burns Club. The first one from July 1925 reports on the Forgan Burns Club sports day, held in the sports field adjacent to Forgan School. The second cutting, from January 1928, reports on the club's annual Burns Supper and Dance, held in Forgan School.
News article from 1953 describing Frank Morrison, the first person to be given freedom of the burgh, becoming Newport's first Honorary Burgess. Only one other person would receive that honour: Miss Maude Pilkington in 1970.
Newspaper account of dramatic and potentially disastrous accident at Wormit station when a furniture lorry toppled from the road down the banking, landing on a train from Tayport. Fortunately the carriage it landed on was empty of passengers.
The damaged train coach after a lorry tumbled on to it at Wormit station from the road above. April 1958.
A newspaper cutting from the 1920s of a very young boy dressed in a Mars uniform, probably at Elie.