The first photograph shows the group of five Newport and Wormit boys who won the Queen's Scout award in 1954. The second photograph shows the certificate presented to Kenneth Hart, on the right in the first photograph. The awards were presented to the boys by Lord Rowallan who was Chief Scout at the time.
25th Anniversary, Ladies Bowling Club. 1976.
333 Squadron was born as No. 1477 Flight Squadron Coastal Command. The Norwegian flag was raised at Woodhaven on February 8 1942. The first Catalina PBY aircraft, Vingtor, arrived ten days later. It was joined by Jossing and the squadron consisted of the two Catalinas and fifty Norwegians. Woodhaven was chosen because of its relative ...
Photograph of the Newport and Wormit Scouts in 1954, with Scoutmaster Ed Hart. Photograph taken in the old Scout HQ down at Woodhaven pier, in what had previously been the Mars sheds.
An explanation of the origins of Wormit Boating Club. Note that the club moved to Woodhaven in 1971, with the new clubhouse being built the following year.
These photographs show scenes from from A Tennis Racket, a fund-raising show put on by Wormit Tennis club in 1956. The show was presented in the Wormit West hall on Bay Road, and it was intended to raise money in support of the recently re-formed Wormit Tennis Club. We also have a programme from the show, and another photograph ...
Two advertisements for Collie's garage and vehicle hire, early 1900s.
This advert from the Mars Magazine features Miss Sim's sweetie shop at Woodhaven Terrace.
An aerial photograph of Wormit possibly around 1920, when the housing was very well spaced.
An aerial view of Woodhaven taken from one of the Norwegian flying boats during World War II. On the left the houses of St Fort Road. To the right of the pier are Mars Gardens and Woodhaven Avenue. Woodhaven Avenue, newly built before the war, still has that look of 'new-ness' about it. At that ...
Aerial view of Wormit, with helpful explanation Taken from an Aeroplane! The lack of development on Kilmany Road dates the photograph probably to early 1920s.
An aerial photograph of Wormit from a series published by The Scotsman newspaper in the 1960s.
Extract from Wormit school log book recording air drill arrangements.
Anderson shelter at Woodhaven.
Extract from Wormit School log book explaining arrangements for evacuees.
The badge of Wormit Bowling Club.
Front cover of 1961 Steele and Brodie catalogue, maker of beehives and appliances in Wormit 1900 - 1998.
This is what happens when a boat is built in a back garden in Bay Road! Several onlookers enjoying the show as the boat is hoisted onto a transporter.
Bowl and ladle presented to Willie Rankine in 1974 while visiting Norwegian Squadron 333 veterans in Norway, with whom he had remained in contact after they were stationed at Woodhaven.
A view of the first Tay Bridge under construction. In the foreground is the Wormit Foundry where many of the faulty columns were cast.
An interesting article about the Buist family of Woodhaven. The article was written in 1905. William Buist established his joinery business at Woodhaven in 1875.
These newspaper cuttings refer to the 1980s campaign, headed by John Rundle and ultimately unsuccessful, to reopen Wormit station.
This was the Rankine family car at the Woodhaven corner shop around 1930. A brilliant red colour, the car was a familiar sight locally. In 1937 it was decorated as a fire tender to take part in King George VI's coronation celebrations.